Progress I Made Tuesday

I looked at vintage patterns online, I looked online for fabric, to no avail. Have you ever noticed that most everyone uses the words 'available' and 'availability', but no one really says 'avail'? Curious. I've made the decision to abandon, no, set aside, my summer sewing projects and sally forth on my fall/winter pieces. If I don't, I fear I'll be doing the 'set-aside' on those instead come February or March and then will have spent two seasons, a whole year, not wearing what I've designed for myself. The notions and fabrics are chosen, and I believe that the patterns are close enough to fitting so that no muslins will need to be made for these next three projects.

Of course, one needs no muslin -- it just still needs to fit! My abandoned watch plaid frock featuring a full skirt, long sleeves and an interesting modified boat neck with a slit in the front. This neckline was a dog to match plaid on and it remains to be seen how I did on the skirt with my cavalier casual approach to plaid matching there compared to my insane treatement of the bodice.

Next, a deep navy sueded twill tunic with 3/4 length fullish sleeves caught with an elastic cuff -- I want to replace that with a tie, I think. Perhaps a leather .... thong ..... if you will. The neckline is once again simple and collarless and slit at the center front. This time trimmed by an applied and topstitched overlay which seems to be cut in a western style. Regardless of description, the whole thing lends itself to the accompaniment of my Frye boots, which is exactly what is expected of this garment. High Five deep navy sueded twill tunic! With deep navy tights. And a [new] LV speedy, a 30 in damier canvas, I believe. Set to become my newest child in 9 short days!

Red tartan sleeveless shift with a twist -- a red ribbon belt securing a slightly blousoned bodice. I know 'blouson' and 'shift' don't necessarily describe the same dress but, really, here it fits. Of course, to be worn with either bare legs and peep-toe pumps (red ones are yet to be mine), or tights and standard pumps.......but that seems heavy. The search for the proper red shoe is ON. I think an edgy twist with regard to jacket, accessories and jewelry is in order. Still considering. Girly sandals, diamond earrings and sorority girl pearls just seems too de rigueur, too predictable, too 'I'm 50 and I do what's expected of me'. Just saying.

There you have it. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment